The Virginia and Earl Geiger Family underwrote the History of Larson Boats exhibit. The exhibit chronicles this innovative Little Falls, Minnesota boat builder.
The display begins with Paul Larson’s first boat building effort at age 11 in 1905, and continues through the company’s wood boat era, and his design of the fabulous Falls Flyer. The exhibit explores the introduction of fiberglass boat manufacturing in the earlier 1950s.
In 1957 Paul Larson sold a 50% interest in Larson Boatworks to Earl Geiger. Geiger was instrumental in moving the company’s fiberglass boat production forward. He implemented the use of the Rand Gun, which allowed for the even application of fiberglass into the molds. The Rand Gun revolutionized fiberglass boat manufacturing, and Larson had a jump-start on their competitors, producing high-quality boats that the dealers and public loved. This was a critical element in helping the company move into the national market. A 17-minute interview of Earl Geiger recounts Larson’s innovation in fiberglass manufacturing, and how this positioned the Little Falls company to become a major player in the recreational boat market.
The Legacy of the Lakes Museum was granted access to an extensive collection of catalogs, artwork and memorabilia owned by Lee Wangstad, Paul Mikkelson (The Mikkelson Collection, Inc.), John Monahan, and the Morrison County Historical Society.
The Legacy of the Lakes Museum would like to thank the Virginia and Earl Geiger Family for underwriting this exhibit, which is a permanent part of the museum.
Support for this exhibit was provided by the Virginia and Earl Geiger Family.
Other contributors include Lee Wangstad, Dee Lawrence and John Monahan. Several of the Falls Flyers on display are on loan from Carl Mammel and purchased from Paul Mikkelson’s Collection.